lynx-dev Whither Standards? (was Re: New <BR> collapsing patch)

From: Michael Warner
Subject: lynx-dev Whither Standards? (was Re: New <BR> collapsing patch)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:26:29 -0700

On Mon, Aug 17, 1998, David Woolley <address@hidden> wrote:

        [...]

> My suspicion is that MS probably reckon to have exhausted the vanity
> publishing market and are now aiming at the more professional end of
> the DP market, particularly things like eletronic data interchange,
> where structure is important.  If that's true, there is a danger is
> in danger of following the vanity publishing line just as the GUI one
> rebound towards real structure.

Possible supporting evidence:  The Web Standards Project, a group
of professional web designers/authors, is starting to agitate for
standards-compliant browsers, so they don't have to jump through
hoops to get acceptable cross-browser appearance for their pages.

It seems to me that this would imply their *writing* HTML to the
standard, as well, and that is mentioned on their site, but the
main emphasis at the moment seems to be browser compliance.

<URL:http://www.webstandards.org/>

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>