Re: lynx-dev Special Hyphen

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Special Hyphen
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 21:35:27 -0700

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998, Al Gilman <address@hidden> wrote:

        [...]

> For a better example, take anti&shy;disestablishment&shy;arianism

Is that the canonical long word?  It's the one I started to use
in my previous email, but it got lost in the editing....

        [...]

> Let me state the algorithm more generally:
>
> First: Do whatever smart word-breaking you are going to do
> in the process of breaking a text into lines for display/printing.
> If you break a word at an interior point where the author has
> placed an &shy; SGML entity, then apply a hyphen as the last
> character of the first line and make the first character after
> the &shy; entity the first character of the next line [modulo
> margining].
>
> Then: For all remaining &shy; entities not consumed by the above
> processing, replace each one with a null string.
>
> Then I can restate what I said earlier as:
>
> Until somebody implements the first part of this algorithm,
> all &shy; entities are going to be caught by the second step.

I think I followed you fine up to the very end - *hasn't* it been
so implemented?  That seems to be the way lynx handles it, as far
as I can tell.  Or am I still bewildered?

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>