Re: lynx-dev printer options (patch)

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev printer options (patch)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:18:42 +0400 (MSD)

>      * From: Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden>
>      * Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:19:47 +0900 (JST)
>      * Sender: address@hidden
>
> > ! # PRINTER DEFINITIONS: Lynx comes with 3 pre-defined print options
>                                            ^
> > ! # which are called up on-screen when `p' is entered:
> > ! # `Print to local file', `E-mail the file', `Print to screen'.
> [...]
> > ! # even it does not physically print anything.
>           ^if
> Actually, there are now 4 options which Lynx will offer automagically:
>    Save to a local file
>    Mail the file
>    Print to the screen
>    Print out on a printer attached to your vt100 terminal
>
> I suggest that you use the exact language, unless you think the
> hardcoded strings should be changed, in which case that needs to
> be done first.
>
> I think it needs to be mentioned, however, that the latter two
I think not.
Features may be disabled silently in some obvious cases
if they are restricted by certain configurations.
Otherwise we got text completely unreadable :-(

Any reasonable corrections to lynx.cfg always welcome.
It should be more user-friendly.

As for print to screen/ansi printer options, they are dated
for those who use capture mode, I am never but maybe someone need...
In fact, now when we have form-based options menu
we may _easily_ add an unlimited number of options controlled on-line
by user and store them in .lynxrc
This is NOT a technical question just now but design and interface:
we may add a followup page like "advanced options" or "fine tune settings"
and include several flags from lynx.cfg which are up to the user.
The idea belongs to Michael Sokolov.
How much questions does we got from PC users?
They want to have settings on-line, not from lynx.cfg.

> will not be offered in the DOS/WINDOWS ports, thanks to Leonid's
> tweaks (see the latest CHANGES).  Right here, I want to thank
> Leonid for his constant efforts at making Lynx a well-polished,
> production-caliber program.  You often work behind the scenes,
> but you certainly have offered a lot!
Thanks.