Re: lynx-dev z (was Re: Timeout parameter?)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev z (was Re: Timeout parameter?)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 17:10:41 -0400 (EDT)

980821 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 980820 James Elkinton wrote:
>> 'z' does not stop 'Looking up foo.bar.com' situations ...
>> stuck at such prompts regularly, sometimes for many minutes at a time.
>> It would be nice if 'z' would stop those too without ctrl-c'ing out.
> This definitely a bug,
> which only happens when URL incomplete and 'guessing' is in effect,
> still awaiting for volunteer, but you may restrict guessing from lynx.cfg
980821 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> Are you configuring with  --enable-nsl-fork ?

this is (yet) another regular irritant, which may have a simple fix.
(1) why in fact does `z' not stop a look-up:
    ie what's the big difference from a connection/download?
(2) how difficult would it be to add a time-out option as JE requested,
    in  lynx.cfg  & the other usual places, esp for off-line use?
(3) why do we have to rely on a configure switch (of all things)?
(4) if we do have to rely on that, it needs better documentation.

this is a request for clarification from LP TD & other experts,
on which basis people -- even me -- may have a look at the source.