Re: lynx-dev lynx and javascript ?

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx and javascript ?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:56:03 -0700 (PDT)

I ate the fortune cookie first, then read what Rob Partington wrote:

> > Anyone still thinking about looking at JavaScript for Lynx?
>
> I'm still looking at it, yes.  I've made progress too.  Not much,
> but some.
>
> > out what to do to get things to build, I discover that the source code
> > for Netscape's Javascript is present there - and buildable into a library.
>
> Is there a licence?  If not, I expect Netscape might have something to
> say about it.  I'm using the free Javascript interpreter previously
> mentioned on the list combined with Netscape's Javascript reference
> document.

The software at Mozilla.Org is under the NPL and MozPL (depending on whether
it was written at Netscape or added in).  These were basically carefully
crafted so it would be possible to create interfaces where they could have
extra, commercial rights to some things but the Open Source world could
continue to use other licenses.  We won't be able to merge it directly in
(thx to the "imiscible" nature of the GPL) but we can write a "scripting
interface" that takes a plug-in library... and then just *happen* to have
a Javascript library under the NPL/MozPL that honors the right calls.
Probably cover ourselves nicely if we also happen to have a TCL library
that fits the same kit and honors Tclets.

Like the SSL stuff we probably won't be able to ship them together.

> > So there is a starting point for someone to try to figure out how
> > to integrate it.
>
> If the licence is compatible with Lynx's licence, I guess it might
> be useful to look at it, but I doubt it would integrate very well.

There are some notes at Mozilla.Org about being careful on licensing
dividing lines (I think in the license FAQ).  Worth reading as we
continue in the "NS has the foo feature, should we do it too?" vein.

  . | .     Heather Stern                 |     address@hidden
--->*<---   Ricoh Silicon Valley, ADC   - * -   address@hidden
  ' | `     System Administrator          |