Re: lynx-dev printer options (patch)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev printer options (patch)
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 14:10:00 +0100 (BST)

> 980822 Nelson Henry Eric commented on my documentation patches.
>
> you haven't answered  2  of my questions (sorry if they weren't clear):
> (1) what's the meaning & purpose of the lines about double %s ?

Lynx sets up two filenames for printing:  the first is the actual
temporary file name and the second is a suggested title.

Each %s is the pattern command takes the next in sequence of these,
so if you only have one, you get the first one, if you have two, you
get both in order, and if you have 3, the result is probably undefined.

If, for some reason you don't want the first, you must still include it
in the pattern, but make the command that the pattern runs ignore it.

> (2) to whom & in what way is the `Print to screen' option useful?
>     it's no use whatsoever to me on my XT-pretending-to-be-terminal;

It's intended for people running XT's pretending to be be terminals!

If say you are pretending with Kermit, you can review several screenfuls
locally, or you can turn on session logging and capture the full document,
in rendered form, without having to define a kermit downloader in the
print menu.

It is probably not very useful for the rare person running a real terminal.