Re: lynx-dev nsl-fork default

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev nsl-fork default
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:15:17 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Philip Webb said:

> Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 20:03:05 -0400 (EDT)
>
> given that we have to rely on a configure switch  --enable-nsl-fork
> to stop a look-up with `z', why is the default disable?
> shouldn't it be enable?

A while back, I tried nsl-fork, and it broke more things than it fixed.
See:

   Linkname: LYNX-DEV SunOS 4, crl.com, and NSL_FORK

   Linkname: Re: LYNX-DEV SunOS 4, crl.com, and NSL_FORK

... so I deemed it goodness that this wasn't the default.  To be fair,
TD said in a reply that he was attempting to supply a fix, and I never
got arount to trying it again.  Maybe it would now be a sensible
default.

Perhaps I was more frightened than encouraged by Henry's suggestion:

    If you can, install the new libbind.a library, and don't use
    libresolv.a at all.  I've found it to solve almost all problems.

-- gil