Re: lynx-dev printer options (revised patch)

From: David Henderson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev printer options (revised patch)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 23:02:36 -0500 (CDT)

Philip Webb included a patch:

> *** Lynx_users_guide.html       Thu Aug 20 21:16:11 1998
> --- lug.html    Sat Aug 22 19:34:11 1998
[...]
> !    <dd>Lynx supports completely interruptible I/O processes. Press the
> !        '<em>z</em>' key at any time during a connect or transfer process
> !        and the process will be halted.  If any data was transferred
> !        before the interrupt, it will be displayed.
[...]
> !        any data transferred before the interrupt will be displayed;<br>
> !        Lynx must be configured with --enable-nsl-fork when compiled.

What is the rationale for explicitly including <br>s in the Lynx Users'
Guide when who knows how big the user's screen might be?  Right now I'm
using a screen that's about 120 columns wide, and if this single item
has qeird unexpected linebreaks, my reading comprehension will suffer
when looking at that item.  This, BTW, also occurs in many of your Lynx-
Dev messages.

imagine if i wrote like this,
pressing  Enter  after every clause
or after punctuation,
no capitalization,
and putting extra spaces around words that should have quotes;
none of the lines have a nice right margin.
would it be easier to read or harder?

For me, anyway, the answer is a resounding "harder".  It's not just a
peeve; if it were, I'd tend to be quiet about it, but this "style"
actually does make it much more difficult to read what's being said.

I would rather that that part of the patch into Lynx without removing
the <BR>s first.  There's enough weird HTML on the web without adding
Philip's unique spacing preference to the Lynx documentation.

The same goes for the "cfg281.mr" -> "cfg281.d1" and "lug.d1" ->
"Lynx_users_guide.html" patches submitted shortly after the abovequoted
patch was.

David IMHO Henderson
--
Star Trek?  Psi Phi!  Visit http://www.psiphi.org/ for the latest news
and rumors about "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Star Trek: Voyager"
<*> davidh at psiphi.org, davidh at imsa.edu, davidh at cyberdesic.com