Re: lynx-dev [2.8.1dev22] patch0.1: Internal HTML pages; rewrite

From: Greg Marr
Subject: Re: lynx-dev [2.8.1dev22] patch0.1: Internal HTML pages; rewrite
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:52:21 -0400

At 08:05 PM 8/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Nit: shouldn't there be a / after lynx.browser.org ?

If there is no path, the trailing / is optional.  In contrast, the trailing /
in <http://lynx.browser.org/current>http://lynx.browser.org/current/ (for
example) is not optional, and can not be inferred.  If lynx gets
<http://lynx.browser.org/current>http://lynx.browser.org/current, it asks the
web server for /current.  If current is a directory, the server sends a
redirect to /current/.  Lynx then asks the server for /current/ in a new
request.  If it gets <http://lynx.browser.org/>http://lynx.browser.org, it
asks
the server for /, which is the default if no path is specified.

BTW, this is all part of the URL spec, and not a lynx-specific thing.

--
Greg Marr
address@hidden