lynx-dev Re: Lynx Questions

From: Al Gilman
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Lynx Questions
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:39:42 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what gruff said:

> No, I'm sorry.  I didn't make my question clear.  I meant from a Unix
> environment.  I use Unix strictly and operate Lynx from within that
> environment by means of a shell account with my ISP.  What I'm looking
> for, and there doesn't appear to be one, is a means of cutting and pasting
> text from a file on my provider's server to a webpage form I visit using
> Lynx.   I hope that makes sense.  I'm not that sophisticated a user of
> Unix programs, but the more I use them the better I like it.

The easiest thing that you could do that would give you this
capability is probably to use cut-and-paste by means of the
software running on your home computer, assuming that you access
the ISP account with a terminal emulator programm such as PROCOMM
running on a home computer.

For example, I run InfoSelect in DOS which will pop up over
Kermit, grab the screen, and let me edit what I got.  Then I
return to the session at my ISP, go to the form field, pop up to
what I saved earlier, and paste it in.

Most terminal emulator programs have a log-to-file and
type-from-file capability which, while tedious, is something you
might use if what you need to copy in is lengthy.

If your terminal emulator is a Windows or Mac program, you can
use the general-purpose cut and paste in that environment to
do something similar.  It is only if you are running in DOS that
you need to get add-on software to do this sort of thing.

"Screen," which Philip Webb mentioned, is a windowing system for
simple terminals that would run on your ISP account and let you
do things like cut and paste as well.  But as a relatively naive
user, setting that up may be more than you want to bite off right
away.

To see Philip's response check http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/

Al