Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx Questions

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx Questions
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:07:21 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Wed Aug 26 01:28:34 1998
> Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 19:08:15 -0700 (PDT)
> From: gruff <address@hidden>
>
> No, I'm sorry.  I didn't make my question clear.  I meant from a Unix
> environment.  I use Unix strictly and operate Lynx from within that
> environment by means of a shell account with my ISP.  What I'm looking
> for, and there doesn't appear to be one, is a means of cutting and pasting
> text from a file on my provider's server to a webpage form I visit using
> Lynx.   I hope that makes sense.  I'm not that sophisticated a user of
> Unix programs, but the more I use them the better I like it.

I use a shell account, and also use a sun (same kind of computer)
on my own desk (top).

What I do is use, on my home computer, is gnu emacs.

I dial in to the shell account (also sun unix) via a second
window (called a "shelltool" on sun), via kermit.

When I want to cut and paste from my home computer to/from
the shell-account on the isp, I just use the mouse and blacken
the "source" stuff, press "copy" button, switch windows,
then (if NOT in emacs) get into an editor and then into
input-mode (so it expects text to be "typed in" that will
become part of a new file), and hit "paste" button (key on
terminal).

If I AM using emacs, I just type "C-y" (control-y), to "yank"
stuff from the "kill ring" (hacked by the "paste") into
the current buffer.

---

If you are getting to like unix, then you will like emacs,
which is totally free via download from mit and elsewhere
(for now, maybe get version 19.34, not the very new version
20, with all kinds of funny and controversial fancy-character
stuff).  Get book published by "free software foundation"
in Boston.  Written by the emacs-creator himself, and updated
all the time.  (different books for different versions).

Oh, for others who do use emacs, I have found that the
"yanking" of pasted stuff doesn't work UNLESS you have
the (foreign) screen size set to the size of your ACTUAL
terminal.