Re: lynx-dev when, where, why "kb/sec"? Any votes for a "simple" Lynx

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev when, where, why "kb/sec"? Any votes for a "simple" Lynx
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:52:02 +0900 (JST)

> it's in one place, so I suppose we could add an ifdef.  I made it a
> single function to make it simple to change.  (yes, it makes the program

Yes, I noticed that.  Thanks.  I would say though, "No", to the offer
to ifdef it, since you seem below to (in principle) say okay to the kind
of overall ifdef that I describe.  It's just one more thing I could stick in.

> most of the growth afaik is the character-set stuff (a little hard to
> disentangle).  The development Lynx's within a percent or so of the 2.8

Yes, I know, but at least we can try.  The first implementation, if I do
indeed start on it, would undoubtedly be less than 5% reduction.

Also, please don't think I put any blame on you or anyone else for the
growing size.  There has indeed been a great boost in functionality; much
more than 5 times.  (Some of it's even my fault, e.g., getting CJK in.)

> > past (ca. Oct. 1997) about reducing the image size.
> ok (in principle).  it'll make the code more complex though, unless
> things are hidden away in macros.

Could you easily explain, or give an example, of what "hidden away in
macros" means?  A reference in a standard text also okay.  Thanks from
a novice.

__Henry