Re: lynx-dev when, where, why "kb/sec"?

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev when, where, why "kb/sec"?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:54:49 -0400 (EDT)

980826 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> 980826 Nelson Henry Eric quoted Lynx2-8-1dev.22 :
>>> Read 4 KB of data. 4 kb/sec.
>> for my Internet connection this kb/sec "feature" is superfluous
>> (usually sits at 0 kb/sec; got up to 2 kb/sec once,
>> but that was because I was rocking in my chair encouraging things).
>> Is there anyway to compile for the old-stlye data counter?
>> Seeing the bytes click over is enough to know what the speed is.
> it's in one place, so I suppose we could add an ifdef.
> I made it a single function to make it simple to change.
> (yes, it makes the program a little larger, but it doesn't hit performance).

i haven't tried the dev versions yet,
but i certainly prefer the present `milometer' presentation;
i have never understood why sometimes it predicts the total, sometimes not:
having the total & the running count is a very good guide for `z'apping.
there's surely room for adding  4 kb/sec  after the traditional count
(BTW it should be  Kb/s  ... ).