Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx Questions

From: Marc D . Williams
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx Questions
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 23:11:01 +0000

On 25 Aug 98, gruff wrote,

> No, I'm sorry.  I didn't make my question clear.  I meant from a Unix
> environment.  I use Unix strictly and operate Lynx from within that
> environment by means of a shell account with my ISP.  What I'm looking
> for, and there doesn't appear to be one, is a means of cutting and pasting
> text from a file on my provider's server to a webpage form I visit using
> Lynx.   I hope that makes sense.  I'm not that sophisticated a user of
> Unix programs, but the more I use them the better I like it.

You didn't say whether your accessing this account from DOS, Windows
or Unix itself.
If you're in Unix you could probably use something like the gpm
mouse driver which provides copy/paste which may do what you need (but
I figure if you were running Unix you wouldn't have to access a
shell account <G>).

For DOS (and Windows) is a gpm-like utility called xpcmouse which allows
for the same mark/copy/paste functions as gpm and sounds like what you
may be looking for.
Here's some of the description from the doc file (even the features/descrip-
tion portion is bit too long to post to the list I thought).

FUNCTION. The TSR program xPCmouse enables Cursor positioning, Copy and
 Paste in the text modes of PC video cards for DOS programs. Xterm and
 Win95 selection methods are used: word select on double-click, drag
 select, rectangle select. Cursor positioning is supported by three
 methods.

KERMIT. A useful installation of xPC-Mouse is on a 386SX machine or
 better running MS-kermit 3.xxx over a 14400/28800 baud modem to a
 remote Unix host. Most of the very useful mouse functions familiar to
 Xterm users will be available, especially double-click and paste for
 Unix file names, cursor positioning on the command line, in text
 editors (emacs, ce, jed, joe, jove, vi, pi) and copy/paste of local
 text and remote host text.

PC USAGE. Local use on a PC includes the familiar text capture off the
 screen, paste into a text editor, and copy of file names to be pasted
 on to the command line. The mouse functions are nearly identical to
 those in Xwindow's terminal window Xterm. In Win 3.1 and Win 95 the
 features of xPC-Mouse add Xterm selection, double-click on file names,
 email addresses and net URLs, cursor positioning and append of paste
 text onto a TMP file. The xPC-Mouse paste buffer can be copied to the
 windows clipboard.

Sorry to say though I have no idea where I got it. It was from a
website that had a very nice collection of useful utilities for DOS.
It may be in my Lynx bookmarks on the Linux side (I'm in DOS right
now).
Hmm, just checked my index files and version 1.2 (I have 1.3) is
at ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/screen/xpcmou12.zip
Haven't updated my index files in awhile though.

Maybe this help a bit.
Marc