lynx-dev [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip-help

From: Sinan Kaan Yerli
Subject: lynx-dev [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip-help
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 09:48:16 +0100

I want to give a clear picture of what I have been doing:

patch is applied to 2.8.1dev.22.

* All XYZ_TITLE defines of UIPs (User Interface Page) are collected
  in LYMessages.h for multi language support.
* Head and H1 of each UIP is standardised; reduced to 1 line.
  In this line a context sensitive Help anchor introduced which is
  skipped by default; i.e 'd' will directly goto 'Save to Disk' not to
  the help anchor.
* Download and Print UIPs are divided into 'Standard' and
  'Local additions'. Current and Suggested Filenames are printed on the
  page which was hidden on the status line or accessed only by '='.
* Information page now has links to either development or lynx home
  pages depending on LYNX_RELEASE define. Besides compile options can
  also be accessed on this page: $helpdir/lynx_site.txt . A file derived
  from 'config.cache'. Its corresponding makefile macro is 'install-log'.
* New Form-based options page is re-organised; logical sections are
  introduced and sorted alphabetically (except for 'User Mode'. This is
  needed because when one types 'o' it will skip the help links and jump
  onto the first item, 'Display', which is an input field, and it might
  be annoying to get back to the previous document. So I found this
  option to be the most sensible to put in the front line).
  Labels and their values are aligned for eye comfort.
* Al's convertion of '#<number>' into '#<id name>' in Lynx_users_guide.html
  is included.
* All links in the help files are marked, i.e. each
  'href="../_filename.html_#section"' is converted to
  'href="../@address@hidden"'. This is useful if a help filename or
  link has to be changed through out whole package.
* 'lynx_help/help_files.txt' is introduced which contains
  FILENAME=_filename.html_
  definitions. Format and details are given in the file.
* All help files are renamed from '.html' -> '.html_'
* For context sensitive help links in UIPs 'src/LYHelp.h' is created
  with all the filenames marked like the help files. It will be included
  from LYGlobal.h. In 'src/makefile.in' necessary changes are done to
  load the filenames from 'lynx_help/help_files.txt'.
* To be able to compress help files '--enable-gzip-help' option is added
  in configure script. In 'makefile' 'install-help:' is updated.
  If COMPRESS_PROG and COMPRESS_EXT are *both* left empty (default)
  no compression will be carried. For the moment compression is
  restricted only to 'gzip'. Necessary updates is done in configure.in.

Patch is 50K (13K gziped). Lynx archive didn't recognise any of my
compressed header (both x-gzip and x-gunzip). I will try '.Z' this time.
So this mail is the only safe way to get this patch (or you can write to me,
or get it from http://star.cpes.susx.ac.uk/~sky/lynx/patch0.3.gz).

Help files are also huge (since they all changed). I keep a tar-gziped
file in http://star.cpes.susx.ac.uk/~sky/lynx/lynx_help.tgz
until dev.23.

You need both patches and help files to get --enable-gzip-help into
work.

Known problems:
* Garbage lines on link.type=form with PARTIAL_DISPLAY
* Download on 'mailto:' is allowed

Sinan.
--
Sinan Kaan Yerli <address@hidden>