lynx-dev LYNX: .gz-files

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: .gz-files
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:17:01 -0700 (PDT)

I note people here talking about gz-files, and whether
or not gzip exists where lynx exists, etc.

I say, it would be nice if I could keep some huge
.html-files gzipped, what with on shell account not having
that much disk space available without paying extra for it.

Now, I of course DO like the automataic "hit d for download"
for gz'd files -- but would also be nice if I had the
option of answering yes to "run it through gzip first, then
load it?" -- especially if name ended in "...html.gz".

Of course, lynx would have to either see if it could FIND
a gunzip or whatever, or have in .lynxrc something that
said "TRYGUNZIP yes" or something, maybe path to it too?

Some reasons why:

my bookmarks file is pretty huge -- 127876 bytes right now.

Also, it is nice to have stored LOCALLY pages from the net
that are full of neat links -- so you can bookmark those
link-filled pages in bookmarks file (again, they are
LOCAL, stored here, downloaded and saved here), so being
sort of a written-by-someone-else 2nd-level of bookmark file.

eg, drudgereport.html is one, having links to MANY newspapers,
news magazines, columnists, etc -- (of all stripes).

Trouble is, these things all take room on the disk.

I've heard of gzexe, which allows you to keep executables
as gz-files, but when you run them, get auto-un-gzipped
and then run.  This would be equivalent to that, in a way...

----

Hey, isn't it fun to think of things to be implemented,
when it is someone else who gets to do the work!

Cheers

David