Re: lynx-dev Re: Horrible mis-feature on "L" page!

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Horrible mis-feature on "L" page!
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:10:29 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Thu Aug 27 07:28:22 1998
> Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:17:27 +0100
> From: Sinan Kaan Yerli <address@hidden>
> <snip>:
>                   Lynx (2.8.1dev.22), help on Lynx List Page
>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    References in http://star.cpes.susx.ac.uk/index.html
>

> By the way that funny looking link (#18) is the one that you visited and
> its title is captured. Lynx is trying to tell that 'you visited that
> one'. Like changing link colour in net*scrape :-)

(Uh oh -- DWIM (do what I mean) bug/feature coming up)

Here is what I was about to reply:

  That's not what I meant -- it is the "address" itself:

       * [16]http://www.ssb.rochester.edu/programs/html/execprog.html
       * [17]http://www.ssb.rochester.edu/programs/html/phd_program.html
       * [18]Courses A - F
       * [19]http://www.ssb.rochester.edu/programs/html/concentrationsmba.
         html
       * [20]http://www.ssb.rochester.edu/fac_index/facindex.html

  I mean, there is no preceeding "http://"; or ftp or anything else
  described (I think) in the lynx help page on urls.

----

I just tried it -- GOOD GOD!, it is TRUE -- you visit
a place, come back, do an L, and the address has been
CHANGED, into the stupid title!

HOW AWFUL!

Because I have gone out in the "tree of links" from this
page, decided it is interesting, and want to do the
L and THEN:

cut-paste the thing (the L page) to some file where I keep
such interesting html-names -- and now, some of those
addresses are GONE!

Which addresses?  THE MOST IMPORTANT ONES!  The ones that
I went to, that made me decide that I wanted to keep this whole
list of them!

(first: some context-sensitive help WOULD be helpful here,
to DOCUMENT that this happens.)

PLUS,, the title of the L-page is now WRONG:

                                     Lynx List Page

                                                  You have reached the List Page

Lynx Version 2.8.1dev.16

   References in http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/gbmbasp2.htm

Because it does NO LONGER contain "references in http://www.usnews..."; --
since some are gone.

----

WORSE YET!

Surely, I think, backing up from the L-page, I can do
a ^R, getting a fresh copy, and then do another L,
on that.

Too bad, sucker: lynx REMEMBERS the fool fact that I have
already been there, and I get the same L-page as before!

Of course, that is just a "premature optimization" bug, or
maybe just a plain old bug -- gotta re-generate the L,
and FORGET (I suppose) where I've been...

Well, that's not so good, since that would screw the
"V" page.

---

Look, I can see a need for having BOTH pieces of info
there on the L page: the unaltered url, AND the fact
that I have been there already, AND (maybe) the fancy title.

How about this: an asterisk at the left if we have already
visited the place.

And MAYBE the "title" of those places either:
. appended to the right?
. on 2nd line?
. avail by separate command (I keep saying we need
    a way to have multiple-char commands, like
    vi does)
. toggle local to that page, that can toggle the
    addrs back and forth between the two types.
   (maybe three types: one without the asterisk,
    enabling auto-processing by perl or sed, etc)
  Suggested char: backslash, which has no current
    use on THAT (L) page.

---

Anyway, seems that there is NO way to get a "fresh"
L-page, other than killing Lynx and running it again.
(Thank god it has no saved state on the disk -- at
least not yet!)

Uh, CHEERS!

David