Re: lynx-dev Re: Dejanews Lynx unfriendly

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Dejanews Lynx unfriendly
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 23:17:28 +0100 (BST)

Dejanews spokesman:

> I apologize for the problems that you are having connecting with
> our site.  Unfortunately, Lynx is a text browser which has
> had several problems serving as an interface for our site.

Something that people tend to forget is that Dejanews's business model,
like commercial television, is based on advertising revenue.  They
will only support Lynx if they can justify to their advertisers that
they will get more sales as a result.  Most advertisers are fighting
to outdo each other in terms of aggressive graphics, whereas plain
text tends to force one to have real information.

Except possibly for ENFORCED legislation, they are unlikely to
take Lynx seriously.  I think the USA is about the only country that
has accessibility legislation, but wouldn't be surprised if there is
no budget to enforce it.