Re: lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip-help
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 13:29:18 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Sinan Kaan Yerli said:

> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 20:06:03 +0100
>
> Here is a part of the text from 'lynx.man'. As you see it contains
> 'address@hidden', i.e it is physically typed in.
>
> <address@hidden> with "subscribe lynx-dev" as the only line
>
> In a 'marked' varsion (well, can be called something else. This is the
> first place I am discussing it so I just invented the word 'marking'
> :-)) it will look like this:
>
> <@LYNX_LIST_HOST@> with "subscribe lynx-dev" as the only line

In a message I posted 5 minutes ago to another list, I called this
process "tailoring".

> You have to do this for all text files. When _installing_ things, then
> some sh script commands will convert @LYNX_LIST_HOST@ to whatever

This is done at present by the install-help target, which tailors the
lynx.cfg file to point to the locally installed help files instead
of to those at the distribution site.  It's a useful technique if
it's not overdone.  I'd consider the tailorability of the majordomo
address (to use your example) as an excess.  If that ever changes,
it will simply be reflected in the next release of Lynx.  Many other
names are tailored by the configure script.  Again, it's an excess
to say that every name in the program should be tailorable.  Individual
requirements for tailoring should be addressed on a case-by-case
basis.

-- gil