Re: lynx-dev LYNX: .gz-files

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: .gz-files
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 13:04:01 +0900 (JST)

> > > I say, it would be nice if I could keep some huge
> > > .html-files gzipped, what with on shell account not having
> >
> > If you have gzip or have compiled in zlib, you can do it
> > already, you know.  Be sure your mailcap/mime.type is right.
[...]
> Maybe you could say some more -- that could be included
> in the doc sometime.

Actually, I've pointed you in the wrong direction here, since
the .gz extension (as well as .Z) is hardcoded in Lynx.  All you
need is libz.a (or libz.so) or gzip on your system, and a Lynx
compiled properly to use either the library or call the external
binary.  I'm not sure, but you probably you could set the
environmental variable GZIP_PATH to override the compiled-in default.

Then if you hit return on a link to somefile.html.gz (the placement
of the dots, and the order of the extensions is important), the file
will automagically be decompressed and the html parsed and rendered.

It would not hurt, however, to have:
        application/x-gzip                gz
in mime.types, and:
        application/x-gzip; /usr/local/bin/gzip -d %s
in mailcap, although your system most likely has this set up
correctly already.

I suspect the documentation is sufficient in this area since this
all needs to be set up at the time of installation.  If it doesn't
work, about all users can do is gripe to the person who did the
installation.

__Henry