lynx-dev lynxrc 'problem'

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: lynx-dev lynxrc 'problem'
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 05:14:42 -0400

I was reading thru LYrcFile.c this morning and noticed this pecularity.

The routine can read a few variables that are not settable from the Options
page (the cookie variables come to mind - perhaps others).

The reason this is a 'problem' is that if a user edits their lynxrc file and
sets these up, then later uses Options to change a setting, they lose their
customization.

And of course, if this is a BBS type environment, where the lynxrc is
set for the user in advanced, that means they a) didn't know they even
had the settings initially and b) perhaps cannot re-add the values on their
own.

Was the omission of these variables from the option page intentional, or an
oversite?

Anyone on the list extremely familar with writing man pages?  A potentially
useful project would be a lynxrc man page, listing the various variables,
their values, etc.  The reason this would be useful is that it is not always
obvious what the value should be to someone hand editing the file (which of
course they must do for the cookie settings, etc.