Re: lynx-dev redirect limit

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev redirect limit
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:11:01 +0100 (BST)

> Is there any way I can set this redirection limit so I can use these
> sites? Granted, I view the idea of so many redirections as rather sloppy,
> but I still want the info available to me through tvgen (TV Guide
> Entertainment Network.)

This sort of redirection runaway usually means a broken site.  It has
probably decided that it doesn't like Lynx and is trying to pass you onto
a fallback page, which may have been removed and is redirecting back to the
original.

Two things that might trigger this are using a very old version of Lynx,
such that there is no cookie support at all, and explicit discrimination
against Lynx because it is assumed to have capability which are often
more limited than is really the case.

If it is a cookie problem, you may find they have decided that no-one
implements limits on the number of cookies stored (the standard doesn't
permit this assumption) and therefore that you will be forced to reregister
every time if you don't support permanent cookies.

Before demanding permanent cookies, I would strongly advise you to
read the FAQ at www.junkbusters.com, to understand some of the real
reasons for permanent cookies.

PS It really is best to subscribe to the list, even if you unsubscribe
again later.  It's certainly essential to search the archives if you haven't
been subscribed a few weeks before posting.  Chances are that some people
following up on this thread will post only to the list.