lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip-hel

From: Sinan Kaan Yerli
Subject: lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip-help
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 13:35:23 +0100

(28/08/1998 13:29) address@hidden:

>In a message I posted 5 minutes ago to another list, I called this
>process "tailoring".

it is definetely better than 'marking'.

>This is done at present by the install-help target, which tailors the
>lynx.cfg file to point to the locally installed help files instead
>of to those at the distribution site.  It's a useful technique if
>it's not overdone.  I'd consider the tailorability of the majordomo
>address (to use your example) as an excess.  If that ever changes,
>it will simply be reflected in the next release of Lynx.  Many other

So, you volunteer to edit each help file to update
        <LINK rev="made" href="mailto:@LYNX_DEV_MAIL@";>
:-).

When I started to 'tailor' the help files, I picked the links/filenames
that repeated themself and/or had a chance to be changed.

LYNX_LIST_HOST however looks like extreme but it is related to
LYNX_DEV_MAIL. When one of them changes the other has to changed also.
Other then help files, the followings are tailored:

LYNX_DEV_ARCHIVE=http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/
LYNX_DIST=http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/index.html
LYNX_FAQ=http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/faq.html
LYNX_FAQ_AL=http://www.access.digex.net/~asgilman/lynx/FAQ/
LYNX_HOME=http://lynx.browser.org/
LYNX_SPEECH=http://leb.net/blinux/blynx/
LYNX_SUBIR=http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx.html
WWW_NEWS=http://www.w3.org/hypertext/DataSources/News/Groups/Overview.html
WWW_HTML2=http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_toc.html
WWW_HTML3=http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html3/Contents.html

address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden

So before dev.23, I am asking to everyone, please tell me which ones
look like excessive?

>names are tailored by the configure script.  Again, it's an excess
>to say that every name in the program should be tailorable.  Individual
>requirements for tailoring should be addressed on a case-by-case
>basis.

Sinan.