Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 17:39:08 -0400

On Fri, Aug 28, 1998 at 04:40:17PM +0200, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Webmaster Jim <address@hidden> writes:
> |   I've created a version of Lynx with GNU gettext hooks.
> |   ftp://www.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/current/lynx2-8-1-dev21-intl.tar.bz2
> |   ftp://www.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/current/lynx2-8-1-dev21-intl.tar.gz
> Thanks for your work!

A small update is being uploaded now (sans config.cache).

> configure complains:
>     ./configure: -l directory listings (default: on): command not found
I don't have Tom's patched autoconf, so this is a transient bug.

> |   *) I've just got a few language files with demo text.  This text is
> |      for the lynx -version switch (see below).
> |   *) The "foreign" languages were faked from babelfish.  Sorry...
> ;-)

I've included some Italian supplied by Sabato De Rosa in the Lynx News
reader/sender modules. I figured this would be a good test of the code.
I noticed that Sabato had translated "Y/N" to "S/N," but the Lynx
code still expects Y or N. I will be reading up on that part of NLS.
Different parts of the Lynx code use various techniques for message
writing, including the macros in LYMessages_??.h, fprintf(), addstr(),
and PUTS() in the WWW library code. All seem functional with the gettext
hooks.

I tested a local Usenet post with the language set to "it," and some but
not all prompts were translated. The it.po file has a few empty messages
because I had no Italian strings. Other messages may be sent from the
NNTP server, not to mention "From" and "Subject" probably need to be
left alone.

Marvin the Paranoid Android.