lynx-dev lycos non lynx friendly

From: Mike Castle
Subject: lynx-dev lycos non lynx friendly
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 17:43:25 -0500 (CDT)

Has anyone else been having problems lately using the Lycos search engine
with lynx?

Even changing the user agent doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

Viewing the resulting html with Lynx and Netstcape shows different html
being returned.  And I haven't figured out why.  What feature is Lycos
using to base it's actions?  Perhaps some sort of redirection I'm not
catching?  I don't see any java or javascript stuff (and I have that turned
off in Netscape anyway).

What I'm seeing is when I submit the search, I'm getting "500 Server Error"

The URI that gets generated from both Lynx and Netscape is similar, except
that the Lynx one has more parts in it (a study of the html supplied to
both browsers will show both seem to be working correctly).

Annoying thing is, when I following Lycos lynx to submit a complaint, it
doesn't work from lynx either!

So, I'm wondering if some people could verify problems with the following:

http://www.lycos.com/

Enter a simple search and try to "Go Get It!" and see if you can succeed.

Meanwhile, the comment form at:
http://echomail.lycos.com/echomail

Is severely busted as shown by the first few lines of the html:

<HTML>
<!-- Lotus-Domino (Release 4.6.1d - May 27, 1998 on Windows NT/Intel) -->
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY TEXT="000000" BGCOLOR="ffffff">

<FORM METHOD=post
ACTION="/em_dir/lycos/lycosmail.nsf/0f865df4dbb1a6888525665100527fed?CreateDocument"
 ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" NAME="_DominoForm">

<HTML>
<HEAD><TITLE>Contact Lycos</TITLE>

Specifically, restarting with "<HTML>" after the form was started.  And a
trace output specifically shows that a </form> was forced at that point.

At anyrate, I will be sending a comment to "address@hidden" about the
broken html on the echomail site.

But I still don't know why lynx gets different html code from
www.lycos.com.  Can anyone shed some light on that?

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all