lynx-dev form options

From: Mike Castle
Subject: lynx-dev form options
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 19:05:20 -0500 (CDT)

I've been really busy lately.  Barely able to keep up with reading the
lynx-dev list, much less doing any development (example:  I've not done a
build of lynx since I submitted the original form-options code).  As a
result, I've done a lot of skimming of the list and am a bit unclear about
some of the changes being made to the form options code lately.

My major concern is security.

If I'm not mistaken, it seems that the form option code is now the
compilation default.  Is that correct?  If so, I hope a LOT more care has
been put into security than I originally put in.

Picture this:  someone generates a fake web page that looks like a lynx
options form.  When submitted, this externally generated web page submits
all the information to the internal handler.  Now, what if this was an
anonymous site that doesn't want a lot of features turned on (ie, editors
for sending mail, etc); and the user of the anonymous site somehow managed
to get to this bogus fake web page (turning off 'g'oto isn't very secure if
one can get out to any search engine).

And I'm not even sure what other options have been put into the form since
I did the original design.

But I do have major concerns about the security aspect of the option form
and, especially at the stage when I initially submitted it, would NEVER
use it on an anonymous site.

I wanted to avoid excessively complicating the backend processing of the
posted form input.  I wanted to have one location to check for the
security/validity of enabling certain features; specifically when the html
is generated.  I know the difficulty of having to keep mulitple sections of
code in sync, and trying to maintain any security aspects where both the
html is generated and the posted data is processed will be a nightmare.
Sure, when adding new features, care can be taken.  But somewhere down the
line, one part will be enhanced and the other missed; someone will exploit
it.

When I did the original design, I put stubs in for the "secure" input
field.  As I've said, I've not had time to even look at the code lately;
I'm not sure if it's still there or if anyone has followed up on my lead
and indeed implemented some remedial security there.  Or if, perhaps
elsewhere, someone has taken the effort to verify that a LYNXOPTIONS: url
cannot originate from a non-local source, or whatever else is necessary.

In my skimming of recent articles, I've not seen any explicit discussion
about the security of the form options code.  Perhaps I missed it.  There
certainly needs to be some, especially with input from those who run lynx
on anonymous servers.

Until the security can be validated, I would definitely NOT put form
options as default for the upcoming final release.  I think it would be too
tempting for anonymous sites to use; possibly with major consequences.

Of course, if I have indeed missed out on anything here, please feel free
to enlighten me.  I wish I had more time recently to follow up on what I
started; however, having recently "gotten a life," I am now only spending
about 50hours/week in front of a computer rather than 110+, and those at
work where I can't really do all the things I want to do.  :->

At anyrate, I hope some thought gets put into the security aspects of the
form options code before it's made the default in a production release.

Thanks,
mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all