Re: lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip-help
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 13:01:36 +0100 (BST)

> Well, that was the only suggesstion given. Since we are a community I
> thought eveybody was aggreed with that. OK then shall we call more
> technical terms like:
>
> * Standard options
> * User supplied options

User is worse than local.  We have at least the following categories:

Developers
Builders
Configurers
Installers
Local Users
Remote Users

I'm a builder, configurer, installer and local user.  Many Win 95 users
are installers and local users only.  People using library systems tend
to be local users only.  People using commercial shell accounts are
remote users and may be in earlier categories.  A Windows (or even SCO
Unix) site manager may be an installer, and possibly configurer).

Users can be split into ordinary and power users, where the power users
may configure their home directory lynx.cfg.

To a pure user, who isn't a power user, the "user supplied options" are
not suppliable by him (even if he has permission to do so).

You are not going to win with this one, as you start having to use terms
that are above the heads of an end user if you try to distinguish the
exact type of person who can chose options.

I suggested local on the basis that the remote user probably knows that they
can't change the configuration ON their local machine.