Re: lynx-dev enhancement to accept all cookies proposed

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev enhancement to accept all cookies proposed
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 13:36:00 +0100 (BST)

[ invalid cookie domain ]

> I haven't come across this alert (I visit very few sites that use cookies)
> so I'll leave it to someone else to decide if this is a good idea or not.

I believe this is a violation of the HTTP standard, but Netscape has an
option to permit them.  Their most likely use is for market research type
tracking, which is the main reason that many people don't like cookies.

I'm pretty sure there are security as well as privacy considerations.

The main reason that people want accept cookies always is probably their
use to avoid a login, although they may also help for sites which use
cookies to maintain state information about, say, "shopping cart" contents.
In most cases, there is a tracking element associated with free services that
require logins or cookies.