Re: lynx-dev character sets

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev character sets
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 17:56:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Laura Eaves wrote:

> I'm still not clear on the difference between preferred doc charset and
> assumed do charset, and why one appears on the

I haven't looked at the source code for this, but my understanding
of them is as follows. Assumed document character set means assume
that any document that doesn't have a DOCTYPE statement is in this
character set. This applies mostly to those in countries not using
ISO 8859-1 or US-ASCII, where local documents may be in the character
set of that country (e.g. ISO 8859-2 for Eastern Europe). Preferred
document character set is used by servers that may have several
versions of a document available. It will preferentially send the
version in the character set noted by "preferred document character
set". I don't know how often this occurs, since preferred language
may imply the character set (but not always - US-ASCII vs Latin1 vs
Windows are all compatible with English).
                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)