Re: lynx-dev character sets

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev character sets
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 18:37:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> I made an attempt to clarify the situation:
> preferred doc charset now moved to another part of options menu,
> and Display Character Sets names in options menu changed
> to make them more human-readable (this not affect internal MIME names :-)).

I think that there are a few problems with the changes. Many who need
non-western character sets will know it. I wouldn't get away from
standard nomenclature, however. I don't think that there is a "-"
between ISO and 8859 in the official names.

> #    Western (ISO-8859-1)

This is generally known as Latin1. I think we should use that name.
(e.g. Latin1 (ISO 8859-1).

> #    Western (cp850)

Perhaps call this the DOS International Character Set.

> #    Taipei (Big5)

Perhaps Taiwan (Taipei is the city).

> #    Central European (ISO-8859-2)

I would use Latin2 (ISO 8859-2).

> #    Central European (cp852)

I would indicate that this is a DOS codepage. Isn't this usually called
"Eastern European"? I thought central Europe was Germany.
How about "DOS Central (or Eastern) European (cp852)", or will this take
up too much space?
                            Doug

__
Doug Kaufman