Re: lynx-dev Lynx problem reading news

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx problem reading news
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 22:18:58 +0100 (BST)

> The single problem I have found is that while it retrieves message headers
> from newsgroups all right, clicking on the message links always returns an
> invalid message error. It is not possible to retrieve individual messages
> by the message ID, in other words. However, although retrieving messages
> by the message number works, this is *much* less convenient than just clicking
> on the message would be.

The usual reason for this effect is a CNews installation with an incompatible
nntp daemon - specifically one has been built with the dbm library for
the history database and the other with the dbz library.  The result
is article ID based fetches are broken.

Another possiblity is an attempt to block slurping feeds.