Re: lynx-dev LYNX: it's "frames" sites complain about, not "forms"

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: it's "frames" sites complain about, not "forms"
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 08:41:44 +0100 (BST)

> re the "correct id in parentheses": please give us an
> exact example of what the user agent string should be,
> one that seems to work most everywhere.  Parens and all,
> so we can just paste it into our alias, so to speak.

I don't reccommend forging the user agents and it often doesn't work
or is counter productive because many sites do not look at it (most
"use this browser" responses are <NOFRAMES> text in static pages, not
custom pages for the browser) or produce more Lynx friendly pages on
recognizing Lynx.  But what I was suggesting would be like:

Mozilla/4.05 (Really L y n x/2.8.1)

with the spaces in the L y n x to try to deflect sites which positively
recognize Lynx rather than detecting the lack of a Netscape.  However,
as MSIE identifies itself in the comment, you may find sites that white
list the whole user agent string.  The best way of handling MSIE is to
do a substring search, not to match the whole string.

Note that page authors are often reccommended to use Javascript to customise
for a browser.  Lynx is never going to work with such client side scripting.