lynx-dev Re: download page

From: Sinan Kaan Yerli
Subject: lynx-dev Re: download page
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:35:07 +0100

(03/09/1998 05:51) Laura Eaves:

>On the download page, what is the purppose of putting a link to
>the lynx user's guide at the top of the page?
>This is an annoying change from the old download page as I have to
>arrow down a link to get the save-to-disk option.
>And if out of force of habit I hit ENTER before arrowing down, I
>find myself in the user's guide and hitting left arrow takes me back
>to the wource page so I lose my downloaded file.
>Excuse me if this was discussed on a thread tha I didn't follow.
>But what was wrong with the old download page?
>And why bypass the download page when returning from the user's guide?
>(I hope this doesn't leave temp files around...)

When I redesigned head of UIPs (including the download page), I also put
'newdoc.link = 1' or 'newdoc.link++' to skip the help link.

But this was not enough; Tom had core dumps with this implementation
(which didn't happen for Solaris). So Tom removed the 'skip help
link' part from the patch. That's why you get 'help as the first link'.
        (I don't know enough about newdoc structure both I think '.link'
        has to be changed with '.line'. So Tom, will that core dump
        happen again if 'newdoc.link=1; newdoc.line=1' is set together.
        I can not test this because I had no core dump with only
        newdoc.link=1 on Solaris).

Latter Leonid and others (including you now) reported that if you select
help from download/upload pages (I discovered that from DIRED_MENU as
well) you get back to PREV_DOC not to the download page.

This is a serious problem. So now I think we should either get rid of
all help links from UIPs (except Options page) or try to sort the _new_
problems which doesn't look like easy.

So far everybody wanted to go back to old style, but nobody tried to
sort _new_ problems :-). I think this 'context sensitive pages' has to be
dealt with after oncoming release.

Anymore opinions?

ps: it doesn't leave temp files on Solaris.

Sinan.