lynx-dev internal links

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev internal links
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:27:41 -0400 (EDT)

he also wrote in HTML format (for some reason):
TD> Klaus' "internal links" ...
PW> oh save us! not another potential dispute about standards & rules!
> All sinners need saving!  Some Scripture for you:

Lynx is not a religion.
lynx-dev is not a church.
past developers are not prophets or saints.

> Fote on internal links:
PW> since neither FM nor KW are around anymore, surely we should delete them.
> Crass.

FM concluded (msg 96):  The INTERNAL_LINK stuff in the devel code treats
>URL-References derived from a fragment with no URL as always having
>a no-cache override (whether or not it points to a position in the document
>that is presently "current"), and ones that did have a URL component
>as not acquiring the override, even if they did fully resolve to the document
>that is presently "current".  As someone who did spend many years
>developing Lynx, I find it very sad that its users will be stuck
>with that stuff in its next release (but getting rid of it, now,
>from the devel code is a non-trivial task). [ he omitted the 1st  )  ]

it seems plain from this that FM wanted the `internal stuff' REMOVED,
but believed it somewhat difficult to accomplish.

i can't see what all the fuss is about.
the point is quite trivial: how to treat  HREF="" , a rare occurrence.
there is no suggestion in FM's excessively impassioned exposition
that there is any security problem involved.