Re: lynx-dev internal links

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev internal links
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 21:59:15 -0700

Um, I think I may have  contributed to some
misunderstanding: it's mea culpa time.

On Sat, Sep 05, 1998, Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tom wrote:
> > I wrote:
> > > one has mentioned that the (possibly) definitive discussion seems
> > > to be the 1997-11-03 entry in the CHANGES2.8 file.

        [...]

> I wasn't sure of the intent of refering to the 1997-11-03 entry in
> CHANGES2.8.

Some one (le, I think) had asked about more background info
than she found in INSTALLATION, and the CHANGES file seemed
to me to be what she was looking for.  I haven't even read
the whole thing, but my impression is that it's over my
head, and I have no idea what the best course might be.

        [...]

> I felt I was hearing in one ear "So, who's Fielding" and
> "What's a 'draft' anyway",

Me again.  Trying to amuse myself with a smart-aleck reference (I
usually resist temptation better than that) to the recent debates
on <BR> rendering, and the necessity/advisibility/impossibility,
depending on your viewpoint, of following standards to the letter,
insofar as possible.  I tend toward the "necessity" end of the
spectrum, myself.

        [...]

> > > I assume you're still playing around with lynx's mail function.

        [...]

> "I assume" that means that the majority opinion is that Lynx should be
> released in the state that any idiot prankster can do what they jolly
> well please.  Well, even if I am just one, I will voice my opinion one
> final time that I think Lynx should nip such tricks in the bud.  Adds,
> what?, 7-8 lines max to the code.

"Playing around" was sloppy word choice on my part.  No
denigration of your efforts intended, nor did I think you
were just goofing off.

I realise it may be an unacceptable hardship for some users,
but I really think lynx would be better off if both email and
news were removed, and the effort saved was devoted to improving
the interface between lynx and other, single purpose programs.
Lynx is THE best browser, and makeshift, even dangerous, mail
support seems like such a waste.  I know from following the mutt
developers' list how much effort it takes to find and close all
the exploitable holes.

Again, sorry if I contributed more to heat than to light.  What
was it old Ludwig Wittgenstein said? Whereof one cannot speak,
thereof must one remain silent, or something like that?

Time for me to talk less, and listen more.

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>