Re: lynx-dev when, where, why "kb/sec"?

From: Greg Barniskis
Subject: Re: lynx-dev when, where, why "kb/sec"?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 98 16:00:41 -0500

Bela Lubkin said:

>I like the counter, but I wish it was expressed in bytes, not Kbytes.  I
>would much rather see:
>
>  Read 36352 of 87401 bytes of data, 18176 bytes/sec.

I seem to recall listening in on a conversation several months ago (maybe
on a FreeBSD list, regarding an ftp client?) wherein a continuously
updated display of total bytes transferred was causing a problem.

The gist of the discussion was that the display system couldn't keep up
with the screen updates -- the byte count was changing too fast. I think
the problem was traced to a buffer (in curses?)...  I'm pretty sure that
the solution was to not to use total bytes transferred as the unit to
display.

Sorry, my memory on the issue is a bit hazy and I don't have time to
consideration. Please redirect to /dev/null if I'm just blowin' smoke. :)

Greg Barniskis                   address@hidden
Network Administrator                  (608) 266-6394
Library Interchange NetworK (LINK)      fax: 266-6068
South Central Library System (SCLS)       Madison, WI