Distributing language based message files [Was: Re: lynx-dev LYMessages_

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Distributing language based message files [Was: Re: lynx-dev LYMessages_en.h
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:13:06 -0400

From: Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden>
> Please, NOT in the distribution.  A link to it is all we need.  Even
> if you have to post it once to lynx-dev to archive it, it's better
> than to keep making that distribution grow so fat.

Proposal:
For each translation of the header file, include a reference ftp URL in the
README.
For a language file to remaining in the list, a valid email address that
the lynx source code integretor can use to announce new messages or
pass along questions regarding the file.  Without a working email, the
reference doesn't appear in the README.

Reason:
The archives are too large and difficult for someone trying to build
lynx to manipulate to locate a version of the header file.  Also, finding
the right _version_ would be non-trivial.

Providing ftp URLs to the files makes it easier for the appropriate
file to be located.

The email requirement ensures that when new messages are added or old ones
changed, someone submits an update.
<URL:http://www.tclfaq.wservice.com/> <*> O- "We are all Kosh."