Re: Distributing language based message files [Was: Re: lynx-dev LYMessa

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: Distributing language based message files [Was: Re: lynx-dev LYMessages_en.h
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:29:45 -0400

On Fri, Sep 11, 1998 at 01:13:06PM -0400, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> From: Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden>
> > Please, NOT in the distribution.  A link to it is all we need.  Even
> > if you have to post it once to lynx-dev to archive it, it's better
> > than to keep making that distribution grow so fat.

> Proposal:

> For each translation of the header file, include a reference ftp URL
> in the README. For a language file to remaining in the list, a valid
> email address that the lynx source code integretor can use to announce
> new messages or pass along questions regarding the file. Without a
> working email, the reference doesn't appear in the README.

> Reason:

> The archives are too large and difficult for someone trying to build
> lynx to manipulate to locate a version of the header file. Also,
> finding the right _version_ would be non-trivial.

> Providing ftp URLs to the files makes it easier for the appropriate
> file to be located.

> The email requirement ensures that when new messages are added or old
> ones changed, someone submits an update.

I'm planning to zap the *_??.h in favor of message catalogs.

See:

http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0998/msg00205.html
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/
ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/GNU/ABOUT-NLS (out of date, but I can't reach prep...)

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
How do you think I feel?