Re: lynx-dev HTTPS capability on the Lynx browser

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HTTPS capability on the Lynx browser
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 09:56:35 +0100 (BST)

>       I am interested in finding out if Lynx has the capability to connect to
> secure web server......  Does Lynx hae the capability to support an HTTPS
> call as depicted on the following command?

Not in any distributable version as that would introduce a conflict between
the terms of the RSA patent and Gnu General Public Licence.  It would also
require precautions against export from the USA, which might also conflict
with the GPL.

>       % lynx https://host/httpdox/cgi-bin/exec?dosomething=now
>
>       I am having difficulty in finding an answer to my question via the web.
> Can you please help me out?

This is explained, I believe, under the patches section which can be found
easily from the main Lynx web site. (lynx.browsers.org (or might be browser)).