Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support

From: Ulrich Drepper
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support
Date: 14 Sep 1998 18:53:23 -0700

François Pinard <address@hidden> writes:

> > If I remember me right, it's not gettext's job to manage this special
> > case; but I may be wrong.  Isn't there a special locale?  Perhaps,
> > Ulrich Drepper will comment this issue.
>
> It is fairly dangerous to translate user replies, and I do not feel we are
> mature enough to address this problem today.  Jim has a routine which does
> it for his three *utils, it created problems already, I'm not fully sure
> it is a good idea to leave the translation in.  If I do not speak against
> it, this is because I consider it to be a way to acquire some experience
> about real life.  I only hope it does not get users to suffer too much of it.

User responses should be parsed using rpmatch() if available.  This
function uses the appropriate values from the LC_MESSAGES category.
The replacement function Jim and I wrote uses gettext and I think it's
ok to use gettext here.  First, the translators are adviced to
recognize the English form y/n.  Second, I have yet to find a case
where it makes problems to recognize the translated forms.  They
normally start differently.