lynx-dev dev.26 problem with -dump

From: Dave Eaton
Subject: lynx-dev dev.26 problem with -dump
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 13:02:25 -0700 (MST)

I have discovered that "-dump" is not dumping in the same format as lynx
uses for display, as was the case in dev.16 and before. (And I didn't see
anything in the CHANGES file mentioning a by-design change).

In particular, blank lines are being left out where they usually are found
(such as between a heading and its paragraph, between paragraphs, etc.)

For example, the test file:

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>test dump</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Head1</H1>
<P>text</P>
<P>text2</P>
<H2>Head2</H2>
<P>text3</P>
</BODY></HTML>

displays in both dev.16 and dev.26 and dumps from dev.16 as:

                                     Head1

   text

   text2

Head2

   text3

which is what I would want (except for the line following Head1 and prior
to text2 and Head2 which actually contain spaces ... it would be nice to
have lynx remove trailing spaces on a line before transmitting it.)

However, the real problem is that this test dumps from dev.26 as:

                                     Head1

   text
   text2
Head2
   text3

Note that on what had been lines with only spaces on them (after Head1 and
before text2 and Head2) the newline was lost and the spaces became
training spaces on a line with text on it.

This happens on both HP-UX 10.x and Apollo Domain/OS builds of dev.26.

 Dave Eaton
--
 Artronic Development  - Your Web Site Solution
 12629 N. Tatum Blvd., Suite 224; Phoenix, AZ 85032