Re: lynx-dev Problems with wyse50/60 emulation in lynx

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problems with wyse50/60 emulation in lynx
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:44:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, pgreer wrote:

> We have three types of terminals in use in the field: IBM3151,
> wyse50 and wyse60. Lynx works correctly under the IBM3151 emulation
> but under wyse50 and 60 emulation the cursor keys do not work. The
> emulation for wyse50 and wyse60 is correct for AIX as vi and smit
> work correctly. I've tried SEVERAL things to get lynx to begin
> working correclty - modifying the lynx.cfg file, using several
> different versions of the terminfo for wyse terminals, different
> versions of lynx (2-4-2, 2-7), nothing has worked as of yet. Any
> suggestions?

As Tom Dickey mentioned in another post, the problem is that the
native cursor keys emit ^J, ^H, ^L, and ^K, which conflict with other
lynx keymapping. There are two possible solutions, neither easy. The
first is to teach your users to use the vi keymappings and ignore the
cursor keys. That's what I generally do on my wy60 terminal. If you
really want to use the cursor keys, this can be done with TERMINFO
(but I think not with TERMCAP), by using the wy60ak terminfo file with
the cursor keys remapped to emit the standard ANSI codes. To remap on
a Wyse60, go into setup mode (with shift-select), then press F8 to get
into keymapping mode. Ctrl plus the key to be mapped will activate
that key's mapping. Then make the up key ESC [ A, the down key ESC [ B,
the left key ESC [ D, and the right key ESC [ C. Use F10 to save the
keymappings, either temporarily or permanently. See page 2-14 of the
WY-60 User's Guide. I just tried this and it works with lynx, but may
interfere with other programs expecting the native codes.
                           Doug

__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)