Re: lynx-dev Henry and partial display

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Henry and partial display
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:16:36 +0900 (JST)

> > Actually, the *other way around*.  It's annoying on local files, i.e.,
> > files on disk, because they seem to get loaded twice, and the display
>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^???
> Please describe the "jump" you see on your side.
> There should not be any jump, the only visible difference between two stages

I think I got carried away on this one.  After compiling both partial on
and partial off, I compared the two, and find that it's no big deal.  What
was bothering me was the status line "flickering".  I use advanced mode,
and it appears that the URL on the status line flickers, i.e., turns off
and on very quickly (miliseconds) in partial, but not with the old behavior.

> if you wait ~24 lines for half an hour we cannot provide a solution
> for you :-)

That's for sure!  Anyway, wget, is great for people in my situation.

> We may add a special switch in lynx.cfg
> like "DISABLE_PARTIAL_FOR_LOCALFILES" specially for you.

No, let's not.  Just more baggage.

> > Question here is, shouldn't partial be turned off for file://localhost
> > URLs (and also documents from LOCAL_DOMAIN, if such a thing is possible)?
> NO!
> An example: I test/use Lynx -localhost on my slow 386 computer,
> it loads local 400KB html file for about 20 seconds, but in partial mode

Interesting.  I used to try this, but get memory exhaustion.  It takes
*minutes* for Lynx to clean up the memory after I exit a session where I've
loaded such a large file.  The limit on my machine seems to be about 200KB,
close to the size of the main_help!

Anyway, I don't think any change is needed since partial display is
a compile OPTION already.

__Henry