Re: lynx-dev Avi,MPEG Textmode viewers

From: Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Avi,MPEG Textmode viewers
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 21:57:29 -0400

On Thu, Sep 17, 1998 at 06:06:55PM -0700, Doug Kaufman put into existance:
] >  Please does anyone know of a package which I can use to view avi's, mpegs
] > etc in textmode (svgalib).
]
] You didn't say on what platform you are working. For DOS, you can use
] the DISPLAY program as your VIEWER.
] "http://www.ualberta.ca/~jsims/disp.exe";
]

(just in case you didn't know,) SVGAlib is one method of using graphics on
the Linux console (FreeBSD as well?)... the X Window System is another but
it already has too many apps dedicated to it (:-))...

As for an SVGAlib/Linux application doing AVI/MPEG...
sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/apps/graphics/
might have something like that... I should check myself.
For regular graphics viewing, I use newzgv-4.1
(in /pub/Linux/apps/graphics/viewers/ I think)
with PNG support... excellent graphics viewer.  It doesn't do GIF or PNG
animation, however.

Regards,
-Eric