lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.1dev.28

From: Sinan Kaan Yerli
Subject: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.1dev.28
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:07:42 +0100

(18/09/1998 05:19) address@hidden:

>>[ ...]
>> 3) Don't particularly like the Download Menu with regard to,
>>  --line 5,  "downloaded" sounds better than "download"
>>  --line 5,  don't see much point in giving the temporary file name, and
>nor I (I noticed it recently, too - I guess it's a side-effect of a recent
>change by LP?).
>>             actually would prefer that it not be given in anonymous mode.
>>             Having the URL of the downloaded document wouldn't be too bad,
>>             though superfluous.  (For that matter, "Suggested file name"
>>             is pretty useless, too, since it's given at the prompt anyway.)
>>  --lines 7 & 9,  actually, would prefer a single list (saves three lines)
>>
>>                                                         Download Options
>>
>>                   Download Options (Lynx Version 2.8.1dev.28)
>>
>>    You download the link: /home/kyoin/nelsonhe/L18401-1TMP.gif
>>      Suggested file name: kinda.gif
>>
>> Standard download options:
>>    [1]Save to disk
>>
>> Local additions:
>>    [2]View file with Most
>>

>> I would like to see instead of the above (5 lines instead of 12):
>>
>>                                 Download Options (Lynx Version 2.8.1dev.28)
>>
>> Download Options:
>>    [1]Save to disk
>>    [2]View file with Most
>>

>> __Henry

Well, I put those. Reason for the 'suggested file' was to give the full
name if the prompt is truncated because of this:

LYNXDOWNLOAD://Method=-1/File=/tmp/L8208-1TMP.html/SugFile=1234567890123456789

Whole point was to give _more_ information rather than giving truncated
information. It is just for visual effect; showing what the user has
already done. But I agree to gain more lines in there. In the first days
of new options page there was a discussion about the naming and/or
spacing (http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0898/msg00854.html) and
at the end I proposed the following:
--------
Download options:

  Save to disk

  download-1
  download-2
  download-3

Last 3 options are set in lynx.cfg.\n   \
You may define an unlimited number of download methods.\n   \
Please refer to the <a href=\"%s\">lynx.cfg</a> file, \
sections 'DOWNLOAD' and 'INCLUDE'.\n",
--------

I've got only Al's OK on this. BTW, last paragraph of above section is
disappeared since the options page is changed. Is this intentional?

For the 'you download(ed) the link' part; in the first place I thought
about putting the real, originating link. But at that time I could only
get the 'saved filename' link which looks like useless at the moment.

For the anonymous accounts; I thought 'download' is already disabled for
them. If so, do we really need to put another security there? But, of
course, more securitry is always better than less security. And if it is
not shown on the page it will be on the prompt line anyway, isn't it?

For Henry's suggestion; finally we have standardised internal page
layout (a function to open an internal page and another to close it). I
think we shouldn't play with the heading much (i.e. putting the version
and Lynx name in the <title>). But if there is an agreement to put the
version number to the <title> and getting rid of <h1> part from _all_
the internal pages, that is fine for me.

Sinan.