Re: lynx-dev Novice query

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Novice query
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:57:54 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi there,
>
> Occasionally I am faced with the following problem and don't know what to do.
> I want to download a file foo.html which sits in directory .../bar/ on some
> remote site. I am allowed to access the file but not the directory in which
> it sits. How do I download the file. Here's an example.
>
> When I try `lynx http://www.sil.org/sgml/' I get the message:
>
>       lynx: Can't access start file http://www.sil.org/sgml/
I believe that just means there's no index.html or home.html (or whatever
Lynx is looking for).  You _may_ be able to access the directory via ftp (if
the directories are coincident - ymmv):
        lynx ftp://ftp.sil.org/sgml/

> When I try `lynx http://www.sil.org/sgml/english-cdata.html', I am `in' the
> file I want to download and, from there, I don't know how to download it.
press backspace, to get the history-list, and download the item you're
pointing to.

> In case it is relevant, I am connected to a VMS system running lynx 2.5 (and
> may not have the clout to get something more recent).
That's rather old (2.7.2 and 2.8 date back to the beginning of this
year, and we're looking for testers for 2.8.1, in case you're interested...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden