Re: lynx-dev lost in lynx

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lost in lynx
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 21:44:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Frank X Cotter wrote:

> Hi,  I have only a rudimentary knowledge of computers and the internet.
> I was interested in a text browser and downloaded several versions of
> lynx.
>
>   None of these were 'executable' programs and I am at a complete loss
> about how to install the darn thing!

You didn't say what platform you are using. If this is Windows95/98 or
DOS, the place to look for lynx is at
"http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm";. This will tell you the
packages that you can download for each platform. If you got a package
that ends in ".zip", this is a compressed archive which needs a
decompressing program. There are several available, that come as
self-extracting archives. For DOS, try unzip at
"ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/MSDOS/unz532x3.exe";
For Windows, try WizUnzip
"ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/WIN32/wiz401xN.exe";

Just run these programs and they will produce the programs and
documentation needed to decompress the lynx archives. Be sure to read
the documentation in the lynx archive.
                               Doug

__
Doug Kaufman