Re: lynx-dev Bug with multiple A HREF's sharing same NAME

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Bug with multiple A HREF's sharing same NAME
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:23:22 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what Stephen Kitt said:

> I've noticed that Lynx (including 2-8-1pre1) has trouble
> handling <A HREF> tags with the same NAME attribute, as
> generated by LaTeX2HTML. Basically, it makes all the links
> point to the same URL, that of the first such tag. Other
> browsers handle things correctly (I've only checked Netscape
> and MSIE, but I hear from Steven Baum that others work),
> although I'm not sure what the HTML spec says the correct thing
> really is in this case - Lynx's behaviour, although annoying,
> seems more logical to me.

Have you sent this bug to LaTeX2HTML for the source of the problem
to get fixed?

The HTML spec doesn't tell the browser what to do when the HTML
is broken like this.  It does clearly require that all ID
attributes (including all the NAMEs on Anchors) in the same HTML
element be unique, i.e. no repeats.

A common technique that could be used for error recovery would
be to add an integer uniqu-ifying suffix.

Al