Re: lynx-dev LYMessages_en.h

From: Anton Bobykin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYMessages_en.h
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:05:31 +0400

> >> this question has been discussed on & off for a long time on lynx-dev:
> >> you can look through the Archive at  www.flora.org/lynx-dev .
> >> a start has been made with French, i believe, but not Russian,
> >> so if you want to submit your  LYMessages_ru.h  file via lynx-dev,
> >> it should find its way into the distribution.
> > How can I submit it? And maybe all of the messages should place in
> > LYMessages_??.h file?
> > I found a lot of messages in LYOptions.c too.
>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^
> You mean old-style options menu which now not supported
> and should be removed soon in favour of forms-based options menu
> ifdefed with EXP_FORMS_OPTIONS.
Ok, I hope messages in new-style options will be in the correct place.

> >From the other hand, it is not a good idea to translate options menu
items
> because you need to translate lynx_help/*.*, lynx.cfg, .rcfile,
I think there's no need to translate key-values in lynx.cfg. Only comments.

> command line -help, and keep those texts in sync with english version.
The main problem is to sync diff's with current development version,
because new versions appeared too rapidly for me :-) Maybe, I'll wait for
relise, translating help, man, doc. There're lot of work. Does anybody know
when will be a relise of lynx 2-8-1?

> My feeling of this general problem is that the help files should be
translated,
> probably also few messages, but the terminology (including
commands/options
> names) should not be changed, otherwise we got a complete mess
> like in Windows95 localized versions...
Yes, you're right. I'm not gonna translate some words too(cookies, for
example).