Re: lynx-dev what is "compile time settings"

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev what is "compile time settings"
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:40:50 -0400 (EDT)

> to follow up on what Nelson Henry Eric said:
>
> > On the info page there is a link "compile time settings":
> >    Linkname: Configuration Definitions
> >
> > I can't really see as how it's going to benefit anyone except
> > someone who understands programming.  Seems to me it could be
> > off by default.
>
> Anyone who tries to understand the operation of lynx.cfg and
> .lynxrc can benefit from this information.  It really helps to
> know what the program is supposed to do if you say nothing.
> Since that may vary from binary to binary, the distributed help
> files can't tell you this information, and the generated
> information sub-page is needed.

also (I agree that the names don't seem very understandable) the generated
page does have the advantage of requiring little maintainance (when the
topic first came up I thought it'd have to be something as in vim or ncftp,
which is a hand-crafted maze of ifdef's).

however - responding to Henry's concern - it might be something that we
may consider disabling in anonymous mode, since each user gets that little
5kb file.  (if you have a _lot_ of users that adds up).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden